What is Snapshot?
Snapshot is an abstract concept in Nimbus used to represent the total information we need in order to recreate a Nimbus workspace with exactly the same state at a given moment. It is very similar to the general concept of “image” we use in computer science but it is specifically for a Nimbus workspace.
How are Snapshots used?
Since a snapshot contains all the information you need to recreate a workspace, we can really take advantage of it.
- As a backup for a given workspace:
- if you are about to do something crazy that may break your current workspace, then you can take a snapshot as a back up then you can go nuts!
- As a base to create a new template or update an existing template:
- If you get your workspace to a perfect state and you want everyone in your team to have that exact state for their new workspaces, then you can snapshot the workspace and use that snapshot to create/update a template. Once that template is created/updated, everyone in your team will be able to create a workspace with exact same state as yours.
- you can also create/update a template directly from the workspace.
- … and more!
- Go to the workspace list at: https://app.usenimbus.com/home/workspaces
- Click the three-dot button:
- Click `Take Snapshot`, give the snapshot a name and description, and click `Confirm`
- Now your snapshot is being created and you can click `Check Status` on the message window or go to the `Snapshots` tab to see progress
- The entire progress will take a few minutes
- Once the `Pending snapshot...` is gone, your snapshot will be ready to use